D2L/ Brightspace instructors can integrate the Science Interactive platform by using LTI credentials found in SI Cloud. If you need help locating the LTI credentials, please follow the steps in How do I find the LTI hooks for my course?
This set of instructions helps you add the external learning tool and link it in the content section of your D2L/Brightspace course.
1. Navigate to the "Content" section of your D2L course, then select "Add Existing Activities"
2. Select "External Learning Tools" from the drop-down
3. Select "Manage External Learning Tools"
Do NOT select "Create New LTI Link."
4. Select "New Link"
5. Add a title (ex: Science Interactive Course), then add the Tool Provider URL from SI Cloud. "Allow users to view this link" check box should be selected
6. Select the "Link key/secret" radio button
7. Find and copy the "Tool Provider Key" and "Tool Provider Secret" in SI Cloud
8. Paste the Tool Provider Key and Tool Provider Secret into the "Key" and "Secret" fields, respectively
9. Select "Add custom parameters." Then, in the "Save Changes" pop-up, select "Save"
10. Insert the course hook information from SI Cloud as shown below
Please read Which hook is best? to help you decide which course hook you should use in your course.
Note: Hooks are displayed in the SI Cloud as one unit, like this: course_hook=hol-course-********
In D2L, the hooks need to be separated into two parts. In order to do this, place "course_hook" into the name section, then place everything after the "=" sign in the value section (ex: hol-course-********). Do not put the "=" sign anywhere.
11. Select all the check boxes under "Security Settings," then select "Save and Close"
12. Navigate back to the content section of your course. Select "Add Existing Activities," then "External Learning Tool" from the drop down. Select the link you created.
13. Select the drop-down next to the new "External Learning Tool" link, then select "Edit Properties In-place"
14. In the expanded properties, select the checkbox next to "Open as External Resource," then select the eye icon to hide the link from students
This course link needs to remain in the course, but should be hidden from students, as they do not need to use it (they access the SI Cloud through the lesson links that you'll create in the next article).